If we are lucky to live to a healthy age, menopause is something awaiting women in their late forties and early fifties. Unlike the stark contrast between childhood and beginning menstruating, the beginning of menopause is a slow crawl. It begins with a slow decline of Estrogen somewhere between 8 to 10 years before your last period. This perimenopause stage can happen anywhere between the late 30s and early 40s. There are a lot of myths about the lead up and beginning of menopause, so we are here to bust some of them.
Keep in mind, that everybody is different so you cannot compare yourself to your friends, family, sisters, or mothers. This stage in life can be challenging but educating yourself about what to expect is the best thing you can do.
- Menopause begins the day your last period ends
Menopause is marked by 1 calendar year after the end of your last period. Menopause happens gradually over time and is preceded by perimenopause. The first symptoms of menopause and perimenopause are irregular periods, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and sleep issues.
- A woman cannot get pregnant during perimenopause
While estrogen is decreasing in her system, a woman still has periods and can get pregnant during this time. While pregnancy is more difficult as fertility drops, it is not impossible and in combination with modern medicine, can still occur during this section of life.
- You can get tested for menopause
Menopause is not a disease or virus you can test for. It is the state of your body one year after the last period ends. You can, however, have your hormone levels tested. Whether you use saliva or follicle stimulating hormone testing. Both results can give you some idea whether you may be experiencing menopause or other symptoms.
- Menopause can be reverse
No. Menopause is a natural part of growing older and is a one-way transition.
- Early Menopause is a sign of bad health
This can unfortunately be a little true and false. There are some health risks if you go through early menopause with the first symptoms appearing in your 30s. The best thing you can do is go see your doctor to see whether it may be a thyroid issue or similar. Other risks with early menopause can be risk of osteoporosis, ovarian cancer, gum disease, or tooth loss.
- You will gain weight after menopause
This will depend on your personal lifestyle, diet, and exercise regime. While muscle loss begins around the age of 30, it accelerates after 40. Many women do gain weight around the similar time that they begin experiencing menopause symptoms. This is partially related to sleeping less and having less energy. The combination results in some women gaining weight.
- Menopause causes wrinkles
Unfortunately, the drop of Estrogen during perimenopause can cause skin to age faster. Fat gets redistributed therefore some of the supportive fat under the skin can be reduced leading to added sagging and wrinkles. It is also important to remember to use sunscreen, as the decline in estrogen leads to a decline in melanocytes. This will make you more prone to sun damage and sunspots.
- Menopause eliminates sex drive
While your vagina will go through changes during menopause. The skin will thin, and some inflammation and pain can occur, there are treatments such as the INDIBA Intimate Care Treatment that can help target these symptoms.
Luckily, there are many things you can do to take care of your skin and your overall health. Check out some of our targeted treatments for sunspots, advanced technologies to deal with wrinkles, and nourishing creams to keep your skin hydrated.
How can Wonderlab Help?
We are here to support you and your skin through all parts of the journey. Feel free to make an appointment with our resident professionals to receive some of the following tips.
- Check our "Women Want to Feel Good Care Program" has specifically designed care plan to support women's health by reducing weight, reducing incontinence, decreasing pain, boosting muscle relaxation, improves sex life and speeding up recovery from tears.
- The best skincare products that specifically target aging and collagen production.
- Book yourself into monthly skin facials to keep your skin hydrated and looking young.
- Consider trying one of the INDIBA machines that can help purify, rejuvenate, and clear your skin from sunspots.
- The INDIBA Intimate Care package has also been created to help women deal with symptoms of Menopause in their private areas.
- Keep updated with our blogs and socials for the newest information about slowing aging and supporting healthy skin.
- Call 0432 574 555 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to discuss the "Women Want to Feel Good Care Program" in full details.