Using a retinol-based product may make the top layer of your skin dry and flaky. It’s best to apply it at night and wear moisturizer and sunscreen the next morning.
A retinol-based skincare product should be used as part of your evening skin care routine in the following order.
- Cleanser, toner, or exfoliant to remove dead skin cells and dirt from the day that may have accumulated on your face
- Apply the retinoid product
- If you are using a brightening product, it should be applied after the retinol
- Moisturiser of your choice.
The order of applying skincare products is vital to ensure your skin can properly absorb the ingredients and the products complement one another. If you are unsure about your skincare routine, check out our handy guide to your daily routine HERE.
Top tips on using retinol
Wherever you add a new product to your skincare routine, it is important to assess its impact and patch test to avoid irritation. Here are several other tips you should consider when using retinol.
- If you are using prescription level retinoids products, consider applying them every other day to allow your skin to get used to it.
- Once your skin has acclimatised to the product and is responding well, you can increase the frequency of application.
- Retinoids products may be used underneath the eyes, however, should not be used on eyelids.
- It is possible to combine cosmetic and prescription retinol products in your routine, however, remember that more is not always better
- If you do experience redness, flaking, irritation, or extreme dryness consider decreasing the frequency of use.
- For the best results, consider using retinoids-based serums that are created with combinations of antioxidants, skin repairing ingredients or cell communicating substances. This way, your skin will experience multiple benefits at once.
- Always apply a minimum of SPF 30 onto your skin to keep it protected from harmful UV radiation.
If unsure of what retinol will work best for you, organise an online skin consultation HERE. Or check out the skincare products created by NO FACE that are created with high quality ingredients and are all dermatologically tested.
Book a session of NO FACE® Vitamin A – Advanced Retinol Phytogen A1000 Activated Facial Treatment with Hydro-dermabrasion to unlock the power of Retinol.