Retinol is better known as vitamin A and has long since been a vital part of keeping skin healthy. However now that increasing numbers of skincare products boast about having retinol, how does one choose the best option for your skin.
Where do you get retinol?
Retinol can be found in many over the counter skincare products along with prescription only serums. Pure retinol is more effective than retinol derivatives, however, require a prescription from a doctor. Product that contain retinol, also known as retinoids, contain many active ingredients and while they can help you achieve your desired results can also increase risk of skin irritation.
Why is retinol good for our skin?
Vitamin A, retinol, helps in activating your skins regeneration. The vitamin A promotes healthy layers of skin named the dermis and epidermis. It helps promote a natural immune system, hydration, and health. This allows individuals suffering from an uneven skin tone, acne, and wrinkles to benefit from the vitamin boost.
Our skin normally sheds & regenerates every 28-30 days cycle. It takes 14-21 days for retinoid to increase the skin's cell turnover.
Benefits of Retinol for the skin:
- Effective cell-communicating ingredient
- Exhibits strong antioxidant properties
- Improves skin texture
- Reduces appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Has been shown to increase collagen production
- Helps reduce appearance of hyperpigmentation from sun damage
- Has been shown to help improve elastin
Should I get a retinol prescription?
If you wish to harness the powers of vitamin a in your skin, it is not necessary to get a prescription. It is advisable to check with a licensed dermatologist, or to get a skin consultation to have the best idea on how to address your target concerns.
- Prescription product is more powerful and work faster, however retinol in cosmetic products have the same result after a longer period.
- Stronger prescription-based products can increase your chance of skin irritation. This irritation can be so persistent that you will need to discontinue using the product
- You will need to check with a trained professional or depend on some level of experimentation to find what concentrations of retinol work best for your skin.
If unsure of what retinol will work best for you, organise an online skin consultation HERE. Or check out the skincare products created by NO FACE that are created with high quality ingredients and are all dermatologically tested.
Book a session of NO FACE® Vitamin A – Advanced Retinol Phytogen A1000 Activated Facial Treatment with Hydro-dermabrasion to unlock the power of Retinol.